When grief hits a family, children often become the focus: how to talk to them about death; how to recognize if they are grieving 'normally'; how to create open communication and dialogue; etc. When we ask adults what they need in their grief, often their first response is what they need for their children. We have number of articles on WYG offering this type of support:
- Childhood Grief: The Influence of Age On Understanding
- Grief Activity Books for Kids 3-9
- Graffiti Wall: A Grief Activity for Kids
- A Thanksgiving Grief Activity for Kids (and Grown-Ups)
- In Memory Robin Williams: How to Talk With Kids About Suicide
- After a Suicide Death: An Activity Book for Grieving Kids
- Remembering Ornament: A Holiday Grief Activity for Kids & Teens
- Grief and Easter: Remembering Loved Ones
We also have an article reminding you why it is important to take care of yourself in order to better care for the children in your life. But one thing that we don't have is a list of kids books about death and grief, despite the fact that we get asked about this fairly often.
We have talked about journals, activity books, and workbooks for kids, but sometimes a story is the best way to open a dialogue. Often reading a story can help kids know they are not alone and normalize what they are experiencing. It can offer a safe way to open a dialogue with children about death and grief, in groups, as a family, or one-on-one. So today, here it is! We have a list of 64 children's books about grief. As with all of our '64 Things' lists, this is not an exhaustive list... So please add your favorites in the comments.
Note: These books are primarily for the 10 and under crowd but, rest assured, a list of 64 Young Adult Novels about Grief is on the horizon.
2.The Invisible String (3+)
4. The Tenth Good Thing About Barney (6-9)
5. I'll Always Love You (3-7)
8. The Saddest Time (6-9)
12. Where Are You? A Child's Book About Loss (4-8)
14. The Scar (5-9)
15. A Terrible Thing Happened (4+)
17. The Boy Who Didn't Want to Be Sad (4+)
21. Someone I Love Died (4-8)
22. What Happened When Grandma Died? (4+)
23. Always and Forever (4+)
24. Badger's Parting Gifts (4-8)
25. Ghost Wings (5+)
27. The Grandpa Tree (3+)
31. Saying Goodbye to Daddy (4+)
34. A Taste of Blackberries (8-12)
35. Bridge to Terabithia (8-12)
36. My Grandson Lew (4-6)
39. Dancing on the Moon (3+)
40. Lost and Found: Remembering a Sister (6+)
43. Goodbye Mousie (4-8)
44. Remembering Crystal (3+)
45. Rudi's Pond (5-8)
46. The Memory String (4-8)
47. Sammy in the Sky (4-8)
48. Where Do People Go When They Die? (3-8)
50. Her Mother's Face (4-8)
51. Remembering Mama (4+)
52. Old Pig (Picture Puffin) (3-8)
53. Pearl's Marigolds for Grandpa (3-7)
54. Saying Goodbye to Lulu (3-6)
55. The Mountains of Tibet (7+)
56. Rabbityness (3-7)
59. The Copper Tree (5-8)
60. Everybody Feels Sad (4+)
61. Grief is Like a Snowflake (4+)
63. Ladder to the Moon (4-8)
64. Missing Mommy: A Book About Bereavement (3-8).
Subscribe to get all our helpful grief posts sent right to your inbox!
We wrote a book!
After writing online articles for What’s Your Grief
for over a decade, we finally wrote a tangible,
What’s Your Grief? Lists to Help you Through Any Loss is for people experiencing any type of loss. This book discusses some of the most common grief experiences and breaks down psychological concepts to help you understand your thoughts and emotions. It also shares useful coping tools, and helps the reader reflect on their unique relationship with grief and loss.
You can find What’s Your Grief? Lists to Help you Through Any Loss wherever you buy books: