This post has been weeks in the works, a promise ever since I wrote When Your Best Friend Dies a few weeks back. Sorry, we have been pretty busy and I have just gotten my head back above water. So, in this post, we’ll share sixty-four songs about the death of a friend (in no particular order).
We always struggle with the best format to share song lists on the website. We’ve done text with links to the YouTube video, we’ve used iTunes playlists, we’ve used a playlist website that went under. We have no idea what the best option is!
Today I am going to give a Spotify a try… we’ll see how it goes. Keep in mind you have to scroll on the right-hand side of the box to see all the songs.
For those who don’t use Spotify, we’ll list the songs below so you can make your own playlist wherever you listen to music.
64 Songs About the Death of a Friend: List
1. Fire and Rain by James Taylor
2. Brendan’s Death Song by Red Hot Chili Peppers
3. For a Dancer by Jackson Browne
4. Elephant by Jason Isbell
5. I’ll Be Missing You by Diddy, Faith Evans, 112
6. Song for Josh by Frank Turner
7. Life Without You by Stevie Ray Vaughan
8. Return by OK Go
9. Stars by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
10. The Crossroads by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
11. See You Again (feat. Charlie Puth) by Wiz Khalifa, Charlie Puth
12. Life Goes On by 2Pac
13. J.A.R. (Jason Andrew Relva) by Green Day
14. They Reminisce Over You by Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth
15. The Last Carnival by Bruce Springsteen
16. I Wish by R. Kelly
17. Who Knew by Pink
18. I Sill Miss You by Keith Anderson
19. You’re Never Over by Eminem
20. Roll on John by Bob Dylan
21. Sissy’s Song by Alan Jackson
22. Lance’s Song by Zac Brown Band
23. The Needle and the Damage Done by Boc Guru Special, Neil Young
24. Light Years by Pearl Jam
25. Dress Blues by Jason Isbell
26. Afterimage by Rush
27. Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny) by Elton John
28. Connecticut Steps by Into It. Over It.
29. No-One But You (One the Good Die Young) by Queen
30. Who You’d Be Today by Kenny Chesney
31. Pretty Angry by Blues Traveler
32. Black Gives Way To Blue by Alice In Chains
33. Bird Song by Grateful Dead
34. Wave Goodbye by Chris Cornell
35. Beam Me Up by Pink
36. It’s A Shame About Ray by The Lemonade
37. My House by Lou Reed
38. Gone Too Soon by Michael Jackson
39. You Should Be Here by Cole Swindell
40. Boulder to Birmingham by The Fray, Emmylou Harris
41. The Shaking of Leaves by Into It. Over It.
42. Terry by Twinkle
43. Dancing in the Sky by Dani and Lizzy
44. Here Today by Paul McCartney
45. Back on the Chain Gang by Pretenders
46. Etta’s Tune by Rosanne Cash
47. The Message by Dr. Dre, Mary J. Blige, Rell
48. Long Live the Queen by Frank Turner
49. Afterglow by INXS
50. So Far Away by Avenged Sevenfold
51. Supersymmetry by Arcade Fire
52. I’ll Remember You by Thea Gilmore
53. In My Life by The Beatles
54. Old Red Wine by The Who
55. 21 by Delilah
56. All Those Years Ago by George Harrison
57. Copenhagen by Lucinda Williams
58. What Sarah Said by Death Cab for Cutie
59. Black Balloon by The Goo Goo Dolls
60. Goodbye My Friend by Linda Ronstadt, Aaron Neville
61. Hear You Me by Jimmy Eat World
62. Live In The Sky by T.I., Jamie Foxx
63. Casimir Pulaski Day by Sufjan Stevens
64. Dondante by My Morning Jacket
P.S. Leave a comment to add your favorite songs about the death of a friend to the list.
P.P.S. As always, subscribe to get all our posts right to your inbox.
We wrote a book!
After writing online articles for What’s Your Grief
for over a decade, we finally wrote a tangible,
What’s Your Grief? Lists to Help you Through Any Loss is for people experiencing any type of loss. This book discusses some of the most common grief experiences and breaks down psychological concepts to help you understand your thoughts and emotions. It also shares useful coping tools, and helps the reader reflect on their unique relationship with grief and loss.
What’s Your Grief? Lists to Help you Through Any Loss goes on sale September 27, 2022, but you can preorder at the following retailers: