6 tablespoons of flour
Half a stick of salted butter
9 ounces of strong ale (I used a local one – Face Down Brown Ale from Telluride Brewing Company)
9 ounces of grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons of English mustard
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Warm your beer choice in the oven set to warm.
2. Assemble the other components so that combining them in a timely fashion is easier.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan (big enough to accomodate the grated cheese) over low heat.
4. Add the flour to create a roux. Cook the roux for a couple of minutes, being careful to not burn it.
5. Whisk in the warm beer slowly to create a smooth sauce.
6. Add the grated cheese and stir with a wooden spoon. Work to melt all the cheese so that there are no chunks left.
7. Add mustard, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce and mix with a whisk being careful to keep the mixture moving so you avoid burning the sauce!
8. If you haven’t done so, toast some bread
9. Spread the sauce on the bread. It’s good this way but if you have a broiler, do step 10.
10. Broil so the top is browned.